Joint Management of Environmental Impact (JMEI)
One of the important priorities in aviation today is improving the efficiency of airports in relation to environment.
In this relation EUROCONTROL (European Aviation Safety Agency)
has elaborated and approved an operating measure ENV-02 Implement Collaboration Environment Management (CEM), published in issue 1.00.00/28.08.2012 of the European Single Sky Implementation Plan on introducing a unified Air Traffic Management System in Europe.
What is JMEI?
1. Partnership in relation to protection of environment
2. A process of strategic management
ENV-02 – Joint Management of Environment
In 2012 Fraport Twin Star Airport Management AD joint the initiative of the State Enterprise Air Traffic Services Authority (SEATS) on establishing a forum for Joint Management of Environmental Impact of Aviation Activities in the area of the airports (JMEI), whereas the operating stakeholders in the Republic of Bulgaria has approved the relevant documents, pursuant to the specifications and with the support of EUROCONTROL.
Fraport Twin Star Airport Management AD is a member to the Council of Joint Management of Environmental Impact (JMEI), established in Bulgaria in 2013 under the requirements of Operating Measure ENV-02, whose objective is achieving a joint general improvement in relation to environment, with the participation of the supplier of Air Navigation Service Providers (ANSP), the airport operator and aviation operators.
Joint Management of Environmental Impact (JMEI) is an open organization, welcoming the accession of new stakeholders as its members. Fraport Twin Star Airport Management AD, invites the aviation operators, using the airports of Burgas and Varna, to join the newly established partnership for joint management of environment.
Main Objectives and Scope of Joint Management of Environmental (JME):
Objectives of Joint Management of Environmental (JME)
- To encourage the partnership among the operating parties in considering the environmental indexes and undertaking mitigation measures related to the operation of aircrafts on the airports of Sofia / Varna / Burgas / Plovdiv / Gorna Oryahovitsa;
- To support achieving a compliance with the relevant aviation policies, rules and regulations, connected to environment protection;
- To exchange information and data in support to Joint Management of Environmental Impact (JMEI) and report the achievements regarding the implementation the common vision regarding environment protection;
- To use the existing and jointly agreed communication channels for providing a common approach in our relations with stakeholders, including the broad aviation society (regulatory bodies, municipalities, spatial planning bodies, NGOs, communities in adjacency to the airports, etc.);
- Joint study of the possibilities fro improving or mitigating the impact on the environment, related to the operation of aircrafts, with view to the joint planning and implementation of viable options - proving the required practical support through expertise, simulation, consultancy, information, validation, joint marketing, etc.
- To promote a better awareness of the entire operational personnel on issues related to environmental protection, related to the operating activities of aircarts, the specific requirements of the general vision of Joint Management of Environmental Impact (JMEI) regarding the environment and other requirements, the role of each official on responsible attitude to environment in the area of the airports of Sofia / Varna / Burgas / Plovdiv / Gorna Oryahovitsa;
- To use the network of external contacts and members to JME to:
- Identify and use the good practices of other airports;
- To exchange good practices, elaborated jointly with other airports;
- To ensure or provide support through expertise, pursuant to the needs;
- To carry out the required bilateral communication with EUROCONTROL, ACI Europe, etc.
Scope of JME
- The JME Council shall have as its priority the impact on environment resulting from the operation of aircrafts on land and in air, to a destination of approximately 15 miles radius in the area of the airport of Sofia / Varna / Burgas / Plovdiv / Gorna Oryahovitsa. Should it be deemed necessary, the scope shall be extended, based on decision of the Council, to cover other procedures and aspects.
- The environmental impacts to be considered shall include:
- Noise generated by aircrafts in air and on land;
- Emissions with impact on the air quality in the surface layer;
- Emissions related to climatic changes;
- Use of fuels;
- Pollution of waters;
- The JME Council shall also deal with issues connected with public relations, considering particular operational changes, making surveys through established communication channels and reporting the respective results.
- The JME Council shall jointly promote, whenever appropriate, the common vision on achieving sustainable solutions, related to topical issues of concern to society.